Internal Affairs Division
In August 2004 the Bossier City Fire Department Internal Affairs Division was created. During this period of time the Bossier City Fire Department was the only fire department within the state of Louisiana that possessed the Civil Service classification of Director of Internal Affairs with the State of Louisiana Office of State Examiner. The Internal Affairs Division is presently located at 620 Benton Road, Bossier City, LA 71111.
The Bossier City Fire Department, as an agency of city government, has established a system of complaint and disciplinary procedures which will not only subject the employee to corrective action when improper conduct is evident, but will protect the rights of an employee when he/she discharges his/her duties properly. The division also exists for the following:
- To protect the rights of citizens whom we serve.
- To conduct investigations of complaints or allegations of misconduct against the members of the Bossier City Fire Department thoroughly, fairly, without bias, and promptly.
- To protect Bossier City Fire Department employees against unjust allegations of misconduct.
- To insure an avenue of redress for citizens who have observed, or been the victim of misconduct by Bossier City Fire Department employees.
The Internal Affairs Division shall insure the complete and impartial investigation of all complaints against any member of the Bossier City Fire Department by maintaining thorough and accurate records of investigations and allegations of misconduct, and the necessary actions taken.
The Internal Affairs Division also is responsible for conducting award nomination investigations to determine whether or not candidates are eligible to receive awards such as certificates, medals, etc. for committing acts that are exemplary, brave, heroic, and meritorious. Feel free to contact the Internal Affairs Division if you feel that an employee of the Bossier City Fire Department or citizen has committed an exemplary act worthy of award recognition.
Commendation of an Employee or Citizen
- Provide the Bossier City Fire Department employee's or citizen's name.
- Provide a brief explanation detailing the incident that occurred.
- Provide the actual date, time, and location of the incident.
- Provide contact information such as your name, telephone number, and home mailing address.
Internal Affairs Division Complaint Registration
- Provide the Bossier City Fire Department employee's name.
- Provide a written statement documenting the facts describing the alleged act of misconduct.
- Provide witness names and contact number.
- The complainant's written statement may be faxed to the Internal Affairs Division with the individual's signature affixed to the document.
- Provide the actual date, approximate time, and location of the incident.
- Provide contact information such as your name, telephone number, work number, and home mailing address.
- Provide a description of Fire Department's vehicle number, markings, etc.
Retaliation against public complainants, public complainant's family members, and witnesses is strictly prohibited. The Public Complainant may indicate that he/she desires to withdraw his/her complaint. This request cannot be denied. However, it is the policy of the internal Affairs Division to continue the investigation as far as possible without the assistance of the Public Complainant. This provides protection against later allegations of intimidation, and allegations that can no longer be satisfactorily investigated or explained due to the passage of time.