Hot Topics

Questions and Answers about Political Signs

  • Question: Are permits required for political signs?

Answer: Permits are not required for political signs.

  • Question: Can signs be placed on private property?

Answer: If you receive permission from the landowner, a campaign sign can be located on their property.

  • Question: Can I place signs in the public right of way?

Answer: No. All signs must be located on private property. Signs are not permitted in the public right-of-way, which includes, but is not limited to, all medians and interstate entrances and off ramps, railroad right-of-way, and generally includes the first five feet from the inside edge of a sidewalk.

  • Question: Does my property line start at the edge of the roadway?

Answer: No. In most cases, the City of Bossier City or Bossier Parish owns the area of land that’s adjacent to the roadway. 

  • Question: Is there a limited time frame in which I can post campaign signs; i.e. before or after an election?

Answer: Yes. Political signs shall be placed out no earlier than 60 days prior to said election and shall be removed no later than 14 days after said election.

  • Question: My signs have been removed and impounded. Can I get them back?

Answer: Yes. If the signs were impounded by the MPC, the owner of the sign may recover them within ten (10) days from the date of impoundment. The owner of the impounded sign will be charged $50.00 for each sign plus the cost of removal.

  • Question: Is there a size limit to the political signs?

Answer: In Residential Districts, excluding the R-A District, political signs are limited to 9 square feet. Nonresidential districts do not have a size limitation.

  • Question: How do I learn more?

Answer: If you have any questions that are not addressed here, please call the Bossier City – Parish MPC Zoning Administrator at 318-741-8824.